Appraiser Liability 101 is my 4-hour online risk management course for real estate appraisers. It’s available 24/7 and consists of seven video presentations by me. Just watch, learn and take a short quiz after each video. My hosting of the course is approved for appraiser CE in California and Washington. (Appraisers licensed in other states can take the course through Appraiser eLearning on their site.)
Appraiser Liability 101 covers common liability issues involving appraisers and dispels common myths and misunderstandings. The course is focused primarily on appraisals and appraisal reviews for mortgage lending. Interesting real-world lawsuits and claims form the backdrop.
These are the types of questions answered by the course: Who sues appraisers? What do they sue for? What are the most common errors that lead to lawsuits? How do the USPAP concepts of intended use and user relate to an appraiser’s potential liability? How can appraisers best protect themselves against unwarranted liability? What liability exposures exist for appraisal review work? Will having an LLC protect me?
Here is what an appraiser in Hawaii recently wrote after completing Appraiser Liability 101: “Your online course … was great. I was actually sorry to see it was over, and I can’t say this of any other CE class that I’ve taken.
- The course provider is Valuation Education LLC (operated by Peter Christensen). The contact information for Valuation Education LLC is 805-696-2600 or [email protected]
- The instructor for the class is Peter Christensen.
- The course is approved for 4 hours of appraiser continuing education (CE) in California: BREA Approval No. 1910722001.
- Course fee: $60.
- Students can come-and-go in the course and complete it at their own pace.
- Students have 90 days after registration to complete the course at their own pace before their online access expires. If you need more time, just ask.
- There are short quizzes following each chapter video. There is no final exam.
E&O Discount with LIA for Completing Appraiser Liability 101: Appraisers who complete this course and who are insured by LIA Administrators & Insurance Services become eligible for a discount on their E&O premium (once per year). In California, the discount on E&O is $50 if the per claim limit of your policy is $500,000 or above, or $25 if the claim limit is lower. In states other than California, the E&O discount is $70 if the per claim limit of your policy is $500,000 or above, or $40 if the claim limit is lower. Please check with LIA if you have questions about your applicable E&O discount.